[pgcon-volunteers] Video

Greg Stark stark at mit.edu
Thu Jun 8 15:23:54 UTC 2017

On Jun 8, 2017 8:05 AM, "Andrea Ross" <fosslc at gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Greg,

I don't disagree with your comments, but I feel it's worth noting that they
can be addressed for money - typically tens of thousands more. I don't
speak for Dan and others, but I can't imagine it wouldn't have an impact on
registration prices.

I'm not sure which comments your responding to, the digital vs VGA issue or
to "two microphones" issue?

The issue with VGA is only a matter of time. I guess as long as Uottawa
have the same projector equipment i would say we should just keep a stable
of adapters and there's no real issue. But already laptops with VGA are
becoming uncommon and one day Uottawa will replace their equipment and they
probably won't have VGA input. That will force our hand.

(Incidentally the was a talk at CCC last year from someone who reverse
engineered the HDMI protocol and built a pass thru system to alter the
signals. I wonder if it's married into an open hardware project that could
be used for capture yet.)

The "two microphones" issue is a different kettle of fish. That really is
just a simple question of how much it's worth paying for what is at heart
an aesthetic issue.