[pgcon-announce] PGCon 2019 - registration, opening session, tutorials, social

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Fri May 24 01:04:24 UTC 2019

Hello,

I write about PGCon 2019 registration, opening session, tutorials, and the social event.

Please see previous announcements at https://lists.pgcon.org/pipermail/pgcon-announce/

1 - Registration

To pick up your badge and swag, please come to The Royal Oak on Wednesday at 161 Laurier Ave E (near King Edward) between 3pm and 7pm.

If you can't get there then, you can pick up from the Registration table, in the DMS lobby, on Thursday or Saturday during usual conference hours.

 https://www.pgcon.org/2019/schedule/day_2019-05-30.en.html
 https://www.pgcon.org/2019/schedule/day_2019-05-31.en.html

Fair warning: on Thursday morning there will be long lines. Don't risk missing the opening session.Come to the Royal Oak and avoid the huge queues on Thursday. Thank you.

Going to a tutorial? There will be a volunteer, in the room, with a sign-in sheet. Pick up your registration gear later.

2 - Opening session

The Opening Session is a PGCon tradition but it was pointed out that
it had not been added to the schedule. This has been fixed. The opening
session is set for Thursday May 30 at 9:30 in DMS 1160

DMS is the Desmarais Building, at 55 Laurier Avenue East, between Nicholas and Waller.

All our lecture halls are on the ground floor, with DMS 1160 being immediately to your right
as you enter from Waller Street.

Tea, coffee, and light snacks will be available in the lobby from 9:00.

Maps page: https://www.pgcon.org/2019/maps.php

3 - Tutorials

If you are attending a tutorial, they are on the ground floor of the Desmarais Building, at
55 Laurier Avenue East, between Nicholas and Waller. There are two tutorials running
each day. Please be sure you know the room you should be in.

For those attending both morning and afternoon tutorials, box lunches will be available
in DMS 1120. If your tutorial is in DMS 1110, you'll need to grab your lunch from the
other room.

 https://www.pgcon.org/2019/schedule/day_2019-05-28.en.html
 https://www.pgcon.org/2019/schedule/day_2019-05-29.en.html

There have been two tutorial cancellations for reasons beyond our control. The speakers are unable to attend. The cancelled tutorials are:

- (Tue PM) Rank and Highlight Your Results
- (Wed PM) WAL for DBAs: Everything you want to know

We have replaced the Wed PM tutorial with:

* PostgreSQL Administration Training - https://www.pgcon.org/2019/schedule/events/1413.en.html

We are working on a replacement for the Tue PM tutorial and will advise you as soon as we have the final details

We apologize for the inconvenience. Refunds will be available after the conference should you wish.

4 - Social event & menu

The menu details for the social event on Saturday night have been posted. Thursday 30 May from 6:00 PM at Lowertown Brewery - 73 York Street, Ottawa

More details and the menu outline are at https://www.pgcon.org/2019/schedule/events/1410.en.html

If you have dietary needs which are not met by that menu, please let us know via email to info at bsdcan.org with subject "Meals" as soon as you can. The venue is happy to help but we need to let them know by end of Monday 27th. This applies both to the social event and the tutorials/talks. If you need something, please let us know.

The venue will not have music. Conversation should be easy, not shouted over music.

Non-alcoholic beverages will be available free of charge.

Have a great time at PGCon 2019

--
 Dan Langille
 dan at langille.org